Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Me and Mr Darcy by Alexandra Potter

Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing



Synopsis
After a string of disastrous dates, Emily Albright decides she's had it with modern-day love and would much rather curl up with Pride and Prejudice and spend her time with Mr. Darcy, the dashing, honorable, and passionate hero of Jane Austen's classic. So when her best friend suggests a wild week of margaritas and men in Mexico with the girls, Emily abruptly flees to England on a guided tour of Jane Austen country instead. Far from inspiring romance, the company aboard the bus consists of a gaggle of little old ladies and one single man, Spike Hargreaves, a foul-tempered journalist writing an article on why the fictional Mr. Darcy has earned the title of Man Most Women Would Love to Date.

The last thing Emily expects to find on her excursion is a broodingly handsome man striding across a field, his damp shirt clinging to his chest. But that's exactly what happens when she comes face-to-face with none other than Mr. Darcy himself. Suddenly, every woman's fantasy becomes one woman's reality. . .


What is it all about
Another light-hearted story about a girl in search for a perfect love story; and was trying to fend off the friendly offers from her best friend cum bookstore colleague who was truly concerned about her. In a bid to get away from the invitation to go for a wild vacation with her friend in Mexico, she signed up for a literature tour in a haste to visit her favorite author; Jane Austen’s home in a tour in the England countryside.
She found herself in the company of a bunch of senior folks; mostly women who were fans and secretly dream of the charming and much-loved character of Mr Darcy in Jane Austen’s book and she started wondering whether she made the right decision to ditch her young peers for a tour full of older people.
There was only another young person her age (or at least younger than the rest) but he made quite an impression and the duo got off on the wrong foot from the beginning.
Just when Emily was beginning to lose hope and enthusiasm in the tour, she found herself bumping into who else, but the legendary Mr Darcy himself. Thrilled and realizing that she was seeing him for real, she started hanging out with him secretly and it was like living a fantasy in the reality. Only thing is, she started to see more of Mr Darcy than just what appears in the book and also understands about love and hatred in life. This trip definitely turned out to be more educational and inspiring than what she had signed up for.

I love this book for the funny moments and enjoyable literary tour of Jane Austen (she’s also one of my favorite authors!). The part where Mr Darcy just appeared during the tour was truly enchanting and unforgettable and it was really hard to realize that you have come face-to-face with the fictional character himself. I think the author really made that part really good where Emily slowly realized that this Mr Darcy was for real. Also, I really loved the main protagonist; Emily Albright, who sounded a little like me in real life (I mean not that I had trouble with dates or social life, etc) where she really loved books! I laughed at the part where she started packing her books and trying to stuff her books into her bag and only left the clothes last. I remembered I used to do that when I was a kid; and Dad would always have to make me leave at least half of my books behind. That was such a great kick to my own memories =)

I would have preferred if nothing was changed from the book; I think I liked it the way it was and the flow was just right for the story.

If I were the author, I would change nothing, as mentioned, I liked everything in the book already =)

My Conclusion/Verdict
Great read; and inspiring, and it is true that what you see or believed in may not be necessarily as good as you get it. An inspiring read to teach us to cherish what we have and not fantasize about things we cannot have.

I give it a 8 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment