Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Judge Dee's Mysteries by Robert Van Gulik

I've gotten hold of a few of the books in this series from a second hand bookshop; and I was pleased with my loot as I really loved mysteries and Chinese Literature and this is a combination of both.

Judge Dee was a famous icon in the period of Empress Dowager Tzu Hsi's rule. In fact, he was one of the Empress's trusted advisor in court.
He was also famous for his wisdom and quick wits in solving crime cases; and this has established his name in the Chinese history.
So famous was he that there were several movies/TV series; and the most recent one being The Greatness of a Hero (check my movie blog)

All the stories below were translated from the Chinese texts by this Dutch author; Robert Van Gulik.
I do find some of the stories focusing too much on nudity (even the illustrations show that in the books)
It seems to be such a norm that women in those days were used to being seen nude by men; which I doubt, in a conservative society like China.

The Chinese Nail Murders

Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing


This is one of the most written/filmed story; and it seems that it was extracted from one of the old court cases; whereby there are two separate cases but using the same method of committing the crime. Both the murderers are women and do not know each other.
Even Judge Bao was seen judging this case in his chronology crime-solving series.
I wonder who is the actual mastermind who is responsible for this now?
This story truly depicts, "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned"

Judge Dee at work

Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing


This is a compilation of five mini-stories happening in towns across the country.
Fast-paced and short, it is not too difficult to figure the culprit.

The Lacquer Screen

Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing


I find this intriguing; where the murder case was kinda unique and the murderer, well, not totally unexpected although there were a few additional twists.

Necklace and Calabash

Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing


This one was rather interesting too; as it involves the royal court and the beloved princess of the King, who lost her precious necklace.

Phantom of the Temple

Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing


I would say this is the one that disappoints me (or was it too predictable for me after reading the previous 4 books?)
I must say this is not crime story at its peak.

Overall, I enjoyed Chinese-translated stories like these and especially mysteries! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment